Letter to Congregation 10-13-2021
Dear Sisters and Brothers in Christ,
In preparing for the stewardship sermon series that focuses on the spiritual tools needed for us to be good stewards of all God has entrusted to us, I came across this list of 10 principles about Christian giving that I thought might be useful to share.
1. The Lord Jesus wants us to give. (Matt 6:2)
2. The Lord Jesus wants us to give for the right reasons. (Matt 6:1)
3. The Lord Jesus wants us to practice charitable giving. (Matt 6:2)
4. The Lord Jesus reminds us that our giving is ultimately to our all-seeing heavenly Father. (Matt 6:3-4; Col. 3:23)
5. The Bible teaches that Christian giving is an act of worship. (1 Cor. 16:2)
6. The Bible teaches that Christian giving should be done in light of the incarnation. (2 Cor. 8:9)
7. The Bible teaches that Christian giving should be done in accordance with our means. (2 Cor. 8:12; 1 Cor 16:2)
8. The Bible teaches that the liberality of God’s blessings to us is connected to the liberality of our Christian giving. (2 Cor. 9:6)
9. The Bible teaches that Christian giving must be willing and free. (2 Cor. 9:7)
10. The Bible teaches that Christian giving ought to be cheerful. (2 Cor. 9:7)1
As we hear more about the spirituals needed for being good stewards, I would encourage you to read over this list along with their scriptures, pray and discern what God is calling you to give of your time talents and treasures. As we gather for worship and give of our time to do so, may we also recall that our giving in a form is also an act of worship.
In His Peace,
YouTube: live stream and recording can be found at https://www.espresbyterian.com/worship/ or https://www.youtube.com/user/ESPresbyterian
Facebook: click on the link below near the time the service begins at 10:00am to watch the live stream https://www.facebook.com/espresbyterian/
Additionally, bulletins and an online hymnal have been put on the website and can be found at https://www.espresbyterian.com/worship/sunday-bulletin/
Ways to give– mail or drop of check/cash through no contact mail slot in office window. Drop off envelope in offering plates before or after worship services. Donate on our website by going to the home page at https://www.espresbyterian.com/ and clicking on the Donate button in the upper right corner. Designate where you would like the money to go by using the note section.
1 Dr. J. Ligon Duncan III, 10 PRINCIPLES for CHRISTIAN GIVING. Nov 10, 2018 Reformed Theological Seminary.